Illinois boasts the 5th largest economy in the US, with a population of 12.8 Million and a Gross State Product of $792 billion (2016). This midwest state is home to 50 Fortune 500 companies (2017), 14 Fortune Global 500 companies (2016), and 124 major corporate world headquarters.
While Illinois budget challenges are widely reported, the business assistance programs on more local levels are less known but substantial and key to business growth in the state.
Here are a few reasons why so many companies have chosen Illinois for their business operations...
MAJOR INDUSTRY CLUSTERS INCLUDE:
- Agribusiness and Food Processing
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Financial Services
- Transportation and Logistics
ILLINOIS HAS A STRATEGIC LOCATION THAT REDUCES TRANSPORTATION COSTS FOR BUSINESS
- 42% of North American Consumers are less than a 2 day's drive
- 29% of North American Industry is within 1 day's truck delivery
ILLINOIS HAS A WORLD CLASS INFRASTRUCTURE SYSTEM TO SUPPORT BUSINESS NEEDS
- 5 International Airports to get anywhere in North America within 4 hours.
- 6 out of 7 of the nation's Class 1 railways have terminals in Chicago
- 50% of all railroad freight in the US passes through Illinois
- All 7 of the country's Class 1 Freight Railroads move through Illinois
- 3 coast-to-coast interstates pass through Illinois
- 13 port districts and waterways provide critical links between Atlantic, Great Lakes, and the Gulf of Mexico
- Port of Chicago is served by 4 railroads and 2 interstate highways
- Over 4,000 miles of fiber optic cables throughout the state.
ILLINOIS HAS THE 4TH LARGEST TECH WORKFORCE IN THE NATION AND THE HIGHEST EDUCATION RATIOS IN THE MIDWEST
- 88% of workers have education beyond a high school degree (2016 Census)
- 32% have a bachelors degree or higher (2016 Census)
RESOURCES FOR LEARNING MORE
- Intersect Illinois - The State of Illinois' marketing arm.
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
- Enjoy Illinois - IL Department of Tourism